DLR-DAAD Research Fellowships in the fields of Space, Aeronautics, Energy and Transportation Research
‘DLR – DAAD Research Fellowships’ is a new programme implemented by the ‘Deutsches Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt’ (DLR) and the ‘German Academic Exchange Service’ (DAAD).
DLR is Germany´s national research center for aeronautics and space. Its extensive research and development work in Aeronautics, Space, Transportation and Energy is integrated into national and international cooperative ventures. As Germany´s space agency, DLR has been given responsibility for the forward planning and the implementation of the German space programme by the German federal government as well as for the international representation of German interests. Approximately 5, 700 people are employed in DLR´s 29 institutes and facilities at thirteen locations in Germany.
This special programme is intended for highly-qualified foreign doctoral and postdoctoral students as well as senior scientists. DLR-DAAD Fellowships offer outstanding scientists and researchers the opportunity to conduct special research at the institutes of the DLR in Germany.
DLR-DAAD Fellowships are defined and awarded on an individual basis. Each Fellowship announcement will indicate the specific qualification requirements and terms of the visit. The current offers are published under ‘DLR-DAAD Fellowships – Current Offers’ on the homepages of the DAAD and the DLR.
Fellowship Types and Duration
|Type||Target Group||Fellowship Goal||Funding Duration|
|A||Doctoral Students||Doctorate in Germany||36 months|
|B||Postdoctoral Students||Research in Germany||6 to 24 months|
|C||Senior Scientists||Research in Germany||1 to 3 months|
Fellowships are always awarded for the length of the research stay in Germany. The host DLR Institute and the fellowship candidate will agree upon the length of this term.
|Type||Monthly Instalment||Possible Additional Payments|
(plus allowance for materials of 102 Euros)
|e.g. flat-rate travel allowance, health insurance, family allowances|
At the time of their application, applicants for a DLR-DAAD Fellowship must
- be able to prove their outstanding study or research achievements,
- Type A: have completed their studies or research with a university degree,
- Type B: have completed their studies with a doctorate/PhD/Candidate (Russia),
- Type C: applicants must be working in higher education or at a research institute; positions are open to outstandingly-qualified academics and scientists who should generally hold a doctorate/ Ph.D.,
- have an excellent knowledge of English, please provide evidence of this through the submission of appropriate language certificates (e.g. TOEFL: 550/217); a knowledge of German is advantageous,
- have completed their last degree in the last six years (Type A) or have completed their doctorate in the last two years (Type B) or assessed individually according to prerequisites (Type C),
- not be of German nationality.
Special note for applicants from the field of medicine: A university degree is considered equivalent to the German medical practice licence, the Approbation – that is proof of at least seven years of medical training and the licence to practice medicine in the home country.
Application papers must always be submitted in duplicate and in paper form. Applications by email cannot be accepted. Incomplete applications are not processed. To apply, please use the form.
Applicants are not required to submit any confirmation of academic supervision.
Applications may be submitted to the DAAD Regional Offices or directly to DAAD Head Office in Bonn, desk 522.
By applying for a fellowship within the DLR-DAAD Research Fellowships Programme you give your consent to the DAAD to forward your documents and your personal details to DLR and its relevant institutions. The DAAD and the DLR will not pass on your details to third parties.
The application deadline is mentioned in ‘Current Offers’.
Mrs. Rebekka Kammler
German Academic Exchange Service
Tel.: 0049 228 882 623
Fax: 0049 228 882 9623